Grimm (LibriVox), Reading A

I've always been a big fan of Grimm brothers' fairy tale stories. Obviously, I think Grimm Brothers' fairy tale stories are the best of European fairy tale stories. I especially enjoyed the readings in LibriVox sections, so I decided to take notes of them.


Grimm brothers' works are truly creative and fascinating. I've read several of them, but Rapunzel was a work of art in my opinion. I've only watched the Disney movie version of it, so it was fascinating to read the written version. The story is almost similar, yet slightly different in the way it was narrated.

The story begins with a couple who was longing for a child. She believed it so dearly that she thought God would give her the child she wished for.

It sounded very eerie and dreadful to me: "It was, however, surrounded by a high wall, and no one dared to go into it because it belonged to an enchantress who had great power and was dreaded by all the world." There must be something that would be dangerous.


Rapunzel was in fact derived from a plant. I didn't know by just watching the Disney movie.

The husband obviously loved his wife and took the rampions and fed her.

He was a doting husband indeed: "My wife saw your rampion from the window and felt such a longing for it that she would have died if she had not got some to eat.'"

This is a tough deal: "you must give me the child which your wife will bring into the world; it shall be well treated, and I will care for it like a mother.'" The couple desperately wanted a child too. How could they possibly give away the newborn to the enchantress?


This is a fascinating scene: "Rapunzel, Rapunzel, Let down your hair to me."It's the scene how most people remember the story of Rapunzel. Rapunzel was a blonde. I felt like Rapunzel perhaps didn't have to do the enchantress's favor: "she unfastened her braided tresses, wound them round one of the hooks of the window above, and then the hair fell twenty ells down, and the enchantress climbed up by it."

The king's son really liked Rapunzel's voice and obsessed over the voice. King's son was clever to try the enchantress's trick. And he was good at wooing her heart as well: "the king's son began to talk to her quite like a friend and told her that his heart had been so stirred that it had let him have no rest, and he had been forced to see her."

The king's son really liked Rapunzel: "Then he wandered quite blind about the forest, ate nothing but roots and berries, and did naught but lament and weep over the loss of his dearest wife." The movie version doesn't mention about the prince's loss of sight or Rapunzel's punishment in the desert.


It was an incredible and fascinating story and I really liked reading this original written version of Rapunzel story.











Rapunzel. Source: Rapunzel in Germany


Bibliography:  Fairy Tales by the Brothers Grimm

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Peter the Real Estate Agent

Week 8 Progress