Week 14 Story Lab: Why You Should Open Yourself Up To The Possibilities Of Story

I've searched through and read several articles in Writers Write website. One article that really caught my attention was "Why You Should Open Yourself Up To The Possibilities Of Story" This article caught my attention because I couldn't agree more on how important it is to be open to the endless horizons of possibilities of story when I'm writing stories. Otherwise, we might risk to write a story that isn't as creative as our initial intent. I've written lots of stories over the course of this semester, but I've always wanted to improve the quality of writing every time I write new stories. So I thought this useful article can help me a lot in improving the quality of my writing.


Like the author said, it's a risk that leaves an author dry. How To Be A Writer’, in the book, Self-Help, when we are open to new possibilities and creativity, the story becomes richer and fuller. 

I like reading about the story of Rosa Parks and the bomb, and the endless story of possibilities continue: "Girl gets on a bus to go look for her father – problem is, she is only four years old. Girl gets on a bus and meets the boy of her dreams. A pregnant girl gets on a bus, girl gets hit by a bus. The possibilities are endless." I like how story can be extended endlessly this way. 

Instead of plotting too much plots, in case an author dislikes doing it, then he or she can just follow the characters and see where the characters take the author: "For example, say you put your girl on the bus, she is going on a trip to visit her grandparents.  OK,  so the bus stops in the middle of the night at filling station and the passengers get out to have a bite to eat." I thought this was an excellent example of how just the characters themselves can take the author to the endless world of possibilities. I feel like my writing will be improved so much after reading this interesting and helpful article.  




\
Rosa Parks in the bus. Source: Rosa Parks

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Peter the Real Estate Agent

Week 8 Progress