Reading Options

I love Myth Folklore class's UnTextbook. I've been spending literally several thousands of dollars on boring and uninteresting course textbooks over the course of my college years, so I find this concept of UnTextbook to be really novel and benevolent.


I have gotten absorbed into reading different kinds of UnTextbook myths and stories, and I've happened to spend well over 30 minutes reading many different stories.



Although there are several other interesting myths and stories, the three that have really grabbed my attention and provoked some thoughts are..


1. Korean Tales by H. N. Allen. I'm South Korean who was born, raised, and has grown up in the capital city of Seoul. Since I was a tiny little baby, I have heard, told, and read traditional Korean legends, folk tales, and modified versions (my grandmother's version) of those Korean stories. It was really interesting to read how some of those stories were written and interpreted in English. I think H.N. Allen did an amazing job at translating and transcribing the stories.


2. Legends of Charlemagne  by Thomas Bulfinch. I have been interested about very different kinds of myth, legends, and stories other than Korean ones (which are native to me). One very interesting collection of legends that I have found is Legends of Charlemagne. In this collection, I could have read about chivalry, knighthood, and adventures of Charlemagne who was a medieval European king (he regarded himself as a knight as well).


3. Tales Told in Palestine by J. E. Hanauer. It was interesting to read about Palestinian tales and legends. The stories and legends were very interesting, and I was excited to read about lots of other stories and legends besides the Bible that exist in that area of the world.

Reading Stories. Source: Kids read stories






 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Peter the Real Estate Agent

Week 8 Progress